Paleo Breakfast Casserole (Whole30)
About a week ago, I was itching for meatloaf. My wife hates meatloaf, and I love it. At least that’s how we remember it going. I did some research, picked a recipe, added my own touch and made meatloaf with a side of sweet potato fries. My wife loved it, but I really didn’t. Something wasn’t right.
I moved on.
My quest for the perfect meatloaf was put to bed.
Fast forward to Monday. Not just any Monday. Day 1 of Whole30 Monday. Breakfast has never been my strong suit. I like to grab a breakfast bar as I head to the pool but that’s not going to happen on Whole30 and swimming on an empty stomach is just a bad plan. If I am going to succeed on Whole30, breakfast and lunch are a must.
If you’re not familiar with Whole30, my wife summarizes it here:
Our family is about to start "WHOLE 30". Has anybody ever done it before? Feel free to recommend any blogs/websites….
Posted by Daniella Holistic Health on Sunday, November 2, 2014
I discovered a recipe for breakfast patties that reminded me a little of my turkey apple sausage bites but I didn’t feel like standing at the stovetop making patties. Then I found an awesome breakfast casserole recipe on the same site. Original link is the recipe, below.
But it’s so much more than breakfast!
It’s a breakfast casserole in the morning and a mind-blowing meatloaf if you eat it once the sun has set. We ate this dish for breakfast on Monday, lunch on Tuesday and dinner on Wednesday. Pair it with a large green salad and it’s a great Whole30 meal.
So, it’s win win. And it’s about time for me to place an order from KOL Foods for more grass fed beef.
Paleo Breakfast Casserole – An Easy Whole30 Breakfast
Adapted from PaleOMG’s Savory Breakfast Casserole.Ingredients
- 6 eggs, whisked
- 1lb Grass Fed Ground Beef (I used KOL Foods beef)
- 2/3 cup almond meal
- 1 sweet potato, shredded
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepperInstructions
- Pre heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Warm some olive oil in a skillet and sautee the diced onion for 6-8 minutes, until translucent.
- Crumble the ground beef into the skillet and brown for 5-10 minutes.
- While the meat is cooking shred the sweet potato.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl.
- Add the shredded sweet potato and almond meal. Then add the cooked meat and onion and mix.
- Grease one rectangular glass dish with olive oil or coconut oil (or you can use two smaller dishes) and pour the mixture in.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes.
- Let sit for 10+ minutes before eating