Garlic Asparagus with Grilled Preserved Lemons
It’s amazing to think that this year our little man completed another year of preschool and the summer schedule of play dates, activities, visitors and Camp Mama is about to begin. One of the highlights of the summer activities is the weekly Farmers Market, and although I don’t get to go to the market myself, my wife finds fresh and delicious treats for me to cook with.
Some of the veggies set me in an adventurous and innovative direction, other times, I like to keep it simple. With asparagus, I generally keep it simple.
I used a combination of green and purple asparagus for this recipe, seasoned them with a little salt and grilled before putting them on a high heat for just a few moments so they soften a little. I also grilled some of the preserved lemons I made a few weeks ago, and a head of garlic before roasting the asparagus, garlic and lemons together for about 30 minutes.
The smells of the lemon and garlic as this dish cooked was out of this world, the house was filled with the aromas of spring and the smells lingered for a little while. If you haven’t made preserved lemons, you can grill fresh lemons for a very similar effect. Keep the heat high and don’t move the lemons or garlic too much so that you can get those beautiful grill marks.
Garlic Asparagus with Grilled Preserved LemonsInstructions
- Hold an asparagus spear and bend it until it snaps. Use this as a guide for cutting the woody stem from the bottom of the asparagus.
- Discard the bottom part of the asparagus.
- Cut the preserved lemons in quarters.
- Cut a head of garlic in half.
- Grill the asparagus, lemons and garlic then put them in a baking tray in an oven preheated to 350 degrees.
- Cook for 30 minutes.